Welcome to our allergy-friendly, organic-oriented, labor-conscious blog. We aren't perfect or pure. We value conversation and action that lead to more insight, more depth, more love, and more justice.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Amaranth Flour

My first post on this blog has to be about amaranth flour. Seriously, I love it. A whole grain that is high in fiber, iron, and calcium...I put it in everything! (No disclaimer necessary, I don't get any money from advertising amaranth!) For those who don't eat dairy or meat, a good source of iron and calcium is always welcome.

Amaranth flour is on my mind, because I am waiting for some to come in the mail. It's hearty, nutty, and reduces the graininess of brown rice flour in your baked goods. Try it out. (Even if you are not allergic to wheat!) It is a staple in our house: pancakes, bread, muffins. I even use it to make a roux for faux macaroni and cheese. (Do I still need to put the "cheese" in quotes if I call it fake?)

Nu-World Amaranth sells organic, non-GMO amaranth that is grown in the US. I'm sure it would be better to grow a small crop of it for myself and my neighbors, but until that day...

Recipes tomorrow?

No comments: