Welcome to our allergy-friendly, organic-oriented, labor-conscious blog. We aren't perfect or pure. We value conversation and action that lead to more insight, more depth, more love, and more justice.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Who's the Dum Dum here?

Apparently I find it quite hard to strive for a more just life, keep my sons in one piece, become more "food secure," AND blog about it. Since I don't have much of a readership (sorry, Mom), I'm not going to feel too guilty...

Especially because I have built a chicken coop since I last wrote--almost all by myself. Thankfully my neighbor is not afraid of chicken wire! She led us safely through that dark tunnel of high school farm memories.

Neither of my children died tragically during the construction, but all of us unraveled as our two found it easy to sneak candy with CORN SYRUP while Mom was wielding the drill. (Should have told the bank a long time ago: No Dum Dums for us! Or at least hidden them before I had a chance to throw them away!)

The children are getting wiser. B read the New Yorker cartoons while I did the dishes tonight. (Not that he laughed. Has he caught on already?) Seriously, I have had to manage my increased craving of farming adventures with my increased need to be a more creative and diligent parent. (I actually thought I was doing pretty well. Can't rest on those laurels!)

So we spent the last few weeks with a very aggressive, angry 5 year old hopped up on corn syrup. Bad news and horribly depressing, but OVER til next time. One week after the last DUMDUM, we have our lovely, loving child back.

The coop still needs a door.

No comments: