Welcome to our allergy-friendly, organic-oriented, labor-conscious blog. We aren't perfect or pure. We value conversation and action that lead to more insight, more depth, more love, and more justice.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Kitchen Freedom: I love the Vita-Mix!

I have missed posting, but I have had some other writing that was actually for a deadline! Not just for my enjoyment and/or your two minutes of distraction.

What I have been dying to write is an ode to my new vita-mix! I have been wanting this super-blender for several years, and since I'm a little frugal I have only now decided that I can't live without it.

What surprises me most (besides the way it beautifully shreds a coconut) is how free I feel with it in my kitchen. I know longer have to base my juice/coconut milk/nut butter choices on which inane supplier has the least precentage of unlabeled corn processing agents in its products! :)

Now, I'm like, who cares! I bought a bag of organic lemons, scrubbed the skins with baking soda, peeled them, dropped them into the vitamix with some water, agave, and ice cubes, and LEMONADE! My son actually proclaimed me the best chef ever, because I made him delicious lemonade. Go figure! He doesn't even know how much fiber and other goodness he was getting, because the vitamix is so powerful it basically turns the whole lemon into a slightly pulpy liquid.

I will rave about this machine and what it can do another time, I guarantee!

Until then,

Lemonade:
1 and 1/2 peeled lemons
3 cups of water
1 cup of ice
1/4 cup agave nectar

Blend on high for 30 seconds (in a vitamix if you decide you don't need to buy a working dvd player or a modern tv!). I don't know about other blenders. My practically defunct cuisinart would just make chunky lemon soup out of this mixture.

No comments: